Hygienist In Milton Keynes
At Abacus Dental in Milton Keynes our expert team of hygienists provide detailed oral hygiene instructions to help you, in addition to providing a comprehensive maintenance clean of your teeth and they offer you the chance to chat with our hygienist about a healthy diet and good oral health habits including smoking cessation advice. She can introduce you to the latest oral hygiene aids and products for looking after your mouth.
More than half of adults across the UK have gum disease, according to NHS estimates. But many people don’t realise they have it. So regular visits to the hygienist is important together with brushing and flossing properly, it’s one of the best ways you can try to avoid gum disease.
If left untreated it can lead to tooth loss as well as more serious medical conditions.
Signs of gum disease include:
- Gums that bleed when you brush your teeth or floss
- Tender or puffy gums
- Pus from between the teeth and gums
- Receding gums
- Finding chewing painful
- Bad breath
- Loose and Sensitive teeth
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Dental Hygienist?
A hygienist is a dental professional who has been specially trained in the prevention and treatment of gum (periodontal) disease. This is the main cause of adult tooth loss. Hygienists also give advice on all aspects of oral health and hygiene.
What happens in a Dental Hygienist appointment?
Most appointments are for "Periodontal Therapy". People often call this a "scale and polish" but there's a lot more to it than that
- Our Hygienist will talk to you about your oral health – for example the treatment and prevention of gum (periodontal) disease
- She'll give you oral hygiene advice - for example, tooth brushing technique and the use of special products like interdental brushes and mouth rinse
- Next, she'll check your gums and teeth to see if there is any plaque or bleeding
- Then she removes any hard deposits (called calculus) and staining from the teeth using an ultrasonic cleaning device and hand instruments
- She'll also polish the teeth to make them shine
- There are other types of treatment that our Hygienist provides, like fissure sealants, Periochip treatment, Dentomycin therapy and Root Surface Debridement. Both our Hygienist and the dentist can tell you more about these and when they might be appropriate for you